On 2nd May 1943 the War Office issued orders for the formation of a new Airborne Division to be called the 6th Airborne Division. On 7th May 1943 the new commander, Lieutenant General Gale, assumed command at Syrencot House in Figheldean, Netheravon, Wiltshire.
From that time on the composition of the 6th Airborne Division took place, including the formation of the Royal Artillery Airborne units. On 12th May 1943 the Headquarters Royal Artillery (HQ R.A.) was formed under the command of Lt. Col. J.S.L. Norris MC R.A. who joined the unit for duty as CRA from 133 Field Regt R.A. on 11th June 1943.
On 8th July 1943 2nd Airlanding Light Anti-Aircraft (LAA) Battery R.A. (TA). came under the command of HQ R.A. 6th Airborne Division at Marlborough Barracks in Bulford. On the following day, 3rd and 4th Airlanding Anti-Tank (A/T) Battery's R.A. arrived at Bulford and came under the command of HQ R.A. 6th Airborne Division.
Three months later, on 27th October 1943 the final unit (53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry A/T Regiment R.A.) assembled at Marlborough Barracks in Bulford for conversion to an Airlanding Light Regiment.
At the end of July in the following year a new unit was added to the 6th Airborne Division order of battle. This was the 2nd Forward Observer Unit (Airborne). They were formed at Figsbury Barracks, Winterbourne Dauntsacy, in Wiltshire.
In the new year of 1945 the 2nd Airlanding LAA Battery R.A. (T.A.) was disbanded at Monkton Farleigh, Corsham Garrision, Wiltshire. Two Anti-Tank Batteries were formed using the nucleus of the old battery. These were numbered 5th Airlanding Anti-Tank Battery R.A. and 6th Airlanding Anti-Tank Battery R.A.
5th Airlanding Anti-Tank Battery R.A. was allocated to and joined the 1st Airborne Division whilst the 6th Airlanding Anti-Tank Battery R.A. remained with the 6th Airborne Division and provided anti-tank defence to the the 6th Airlanding Brigade divisional assets.